Thursday, November 27th, 2014

CHIP Featured Employee for February

February 1, 2013 by  
Filed under CHIP Today

Beth Krane is CHIP’s featured employee for the month of February. If you don’t already know her and her role at CHIP, we invite you to read this brief Q&A with her…

How many years have you worked at CHIP/ UConn? Five years at CHIP on a part-time basis for all five years; eight years at UConn, including my tenure at CHIP.

What are your primary responsibilities? My primary responsibilities at CHIP involve communication and dissemination of research activities and accomplishments. This includes managing the writing of CHIP’s Annual Report each spring semester, writing news content for CHIP’s web site and for our periodic CHIP Research News emails, and helping to publicize CHIP research results and business services. I also serve as the Center’s liaison to University Communications and assist with planning for media outreach involving CHIP researchers.

What is your favorite part of working at CHIP? The people, of course, and the feelings of accomplishment and pride that stem from being a part of one of the most successful and highly regarded units on campus.

Please share a little bit about your professional life before CHIP: After earning my Master’s Degree in Journalism, I worked as a newspaper reporter in two highly competitive Florida media markets for about 5 years, covering a broad range of topics from local government to education and health. I moved back to my home state and began working for UConn Communications as part of the Media Relations team responsible for promoting faculty research in January 2005 and worked there for three years before joining CHIP.

What is your favorite place or event on campus? I like the Benton Museum and gift shop, and the peaceful courtyard and shaded garden outside the museum.

What are we most likely to find you doing when you are not at work?  Wrangling my two rambunctious boys, ages 3 and 6, or trying to squeeze in time for a run.