Monday, November 24th, 2014

CHIP Featured Employee for May

May 1, 2013 by  
Filed under CHIP Today

Kathleen Moriarty is CHIP’s Featured Employee of the Month for May. If you don’t already know her and details of her role at CHIP, we invite you to read this brief Q&A with her.

How many years have you worked at CHIP/ UConn? This is my 37th year at UConn and my 3rd year at CHIP.

What are your primary responsibilities? I work for CHIP Grants Manager Vasinee Long, assisting her with grant budget projections, quarterly effort reporting, and other projects as needed.

What is your favorite part of working at CHIP?  I enjoy the work that I do, the people with whom I work, and the atmosphere at CHIP.

Please share a little bit about your professional life before CHIP. For 26 years, I was in the Department of Biobehavioral Sciences where I worked my way up from Secretary to Program Coordinator.  When Biobehavioral Sciences was incorporated into the Department of Psychology, I assumed the role of Grants Manager there for six years.  While I worked with the faculty and graduate students in Psychology, they became the department bringing in the most annual grant funding on campus. In 2002, I transferred to the Office for Sponsored Research (OSP), where I served as a Grants Specialist in the Pre-Award Division, working with University faculty and graduate students to prepare and submit grant applications.  I formally retired from UConn after 33 years of service in 2003.  After retirement, I continued working for OSP as a Grants Specialist for one year before coming to CHIP in 2004, where I served as the Grants Manager until 2005. After a hiatus of six years, I returned to CHIP in January 2012.

What is your favorite place or event on campus, or your favorite Huskies Team?  I enjoy walking on campus and the new restaurants and stores at Downtown Storrs.

What are we most likely to find you doing when you are not at work?   I like to travel, attend musicals and plays, bowl in several leagues, eat out with friends and relatives, and take walks on campus.